Until date, no absolute cure for diabetes has been found. Research is ongoing in this area, since diabetes brings with it a myriad of other complications, if not kept in control through proper diet, exercise and medication if required.
Diabetic patients must realize that they have a complicated disorder, which continues for lifetime. During pregnancy, diabetes can be serious and diabetic babies always weigh more than normal.
Older people gradually tend to gain weight and they develop a mild form of diabetes because of a strain on their pancreas. Controlling weight can help control diabetes.
As said above, diabetes brings with it a host of complications. Diabetic patients are more prone to infections of the skin, such as boils, carbuncles and itching. Hardening of the arteries occurs much more frequently in diabetic patients. Heart attacks are also more common in such patients. Cataracts occur more frequently in older diabetics and also in patients who have had diabetes for five years or longer.
So, here are some simple home remedies to control the blood glucose level. They help, the only condition being that it must be followed regularly and diligently.
* The powder of the seeds of fenugreek (Methi) taken two to three times a day helps control the sugar in blood and urine.
* Diabetes can also be controlled when you drink water kept overnight, with tender leaves of guava tree and sadabahar plant soaked in it.
* Boil a few leaves each of tulsi (Basil), neem, jamun, bel, along with 4-5 corns of pepper in a glass of water and drink two times a day.
* Morning and evening walk for at least 45 minutes is very essential to control this disease.
* Eat at least 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder daily.
* Consume 1 tablespoon juice of bitter gourd (Karela) every morning, It may not instantly give results, but will definitely reduce the intensity of the condition.
* Soak fenugreek seeds about one teaspoon in water at night, drink that water in the morning and chew and eat the soaked seeds. This helps reduce the blood sugar.
* Wash a green banana and peel it. Put the peel in a jar, fill with water and drink this water three times a day. This water will lower the sugar level. Change the peel every other day and refill the jar with water as you drink.
* Take 15 fresh mango leaves and boil them in 1 glass of water. Keep them overnight. Filter and drink the next morning.
* Grapefruit is considered quite beneficial. Eat three grapefruits three times in a day.
* Indian gooseberry (amla), is a rich source of vitamin C and serves as one of the best home remedies for diabetes. Take 1 tablespoon of gooseberry juice and mix it with a cup of bitter gourd juice. Consume the mixture daily for about 2 months.
* Garlic helps blood circulation and regulates sugar level.
* Drink 1 litre of cinnamon water daily. Cinnamon contains a chemical that helps to use blood sugar naturally in body. Add 3 table spoon of cinnamon to 1 litre of boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes in a low flame, and then strain the mixture.
* A teaspoon of black cumin seeds (kalonji) to be boiled in a glass of water, till it reduces to half. If taken regularly, it helps to control the blood sugar.
* Prepare a mixture by adding equal quantities of turmeric powder and dried gooseberry powder with honey; or drink a mixture containing equal quantities of gooseberry juice and fresh turmeric juice in an empty stomach regularly.
* Prepare coffee with powdered fried fenugreek and wheat, taken in equal quantities.
* Eat fresh, tender curry leaves twice a day to reduce sugar.
* Take some tender guava leaves, and 3 grams of cumin seeds. Crush them together. Boil with one glass of water till reduces to half. Drink 2-3 times a day.
* Drink 8 glass of water in the morning on an empty stomach and walk for one hour.
Diet for a diabetic patient as prescribed in Ayurveda:
The main aim is to help the body absorb the sugar into the system.
Take about one kg of curd made from cow's milk along with various types of gourds, but without salt. The greener the vegetables, the more valuable it would be. Sour fruits like tomatoes, oranges, pineapple, jamun could also be taken. The patient can also consume one or two chapattis made out of unsieved flour.
Cereals and sugar preparations should be avoided for some time. Hipbath is also recommended, as it is extremely beneficial in the case of diabetes, particularly for patients suffering from constipation.
Yoga is also advised by yoga specialists, which has proved useful in dealing with the disease.