An herb know world wide for its well-known results in diabetes mellitus. Known as Momordia charantia in biological terms is an herb that is a boon to mankind. Due to its miraculous properties, it is regarded as one of the best herb existing on this planet. A wonder of nature is that, it is not only beneficial in diabetes mellitus but is also very beneficial in many other disorders that have been troubling mankind. Karela not only gives relief but also cures the patient.
This wonderful herb commonly grows everywhere in India. It is generally found in places, which are damb and wet. It is a creeper and it climbs on other trees for supports. Generally whole plat is used but some people in India also uses outer layer of the fruit.
This exotic hear is ushan virya in potency, and possess laghu (light) and ruksh (dry) properties. It possesses tickt and katu rasa. Combination of these properties makes it the real natures wonder. Due to combination of these properties it makes Karela a magic stick by which many diseases can be eradicated. Karela's chemical constituents are lectin, charatin and momordicine. It also contains a polypeptide named gurmarin, which is similar to insulin in composition. Well exact action is still unknown but it is well established that regular use of Karela has very good results in diseases like diabetes etc
Indications of Karela
A very peculiar quality of Karela is that, it suppresses kapha and pitta but due to ushan virya potency it also don't let vata to increase.
- Widely used herb in treating diabetes mellitus as it has an action similar to insulin thus helping in glucose metabolism.
- Stimulates pancreas to work and secrete all the secretions properly.
- Helps in stimulating liver for proper secretions of bile juices.
- It helps in easier digestion of food as it promotes secretion of digestive enzymes.
- Helps in good assimilation of food.
- Works as an appetizer.
- Very useful in constipated stools and disease like hemorrhoids, fissures and fistulas.
- Help in destroying worms present in our gastro intestinal tract therefore works as deworming agent.
- Its property fades away the toxin named ama formed in the body due to non-recommended lifestyle and bad eating habits.
- It is a very good blood purifier as it contains tickt and katu rasa there fore helps in purifying blood and helps us from infection from microorganism and toxins that are created by there presence.
- Due to its actions it is very commonly used in skin diseases specially it finds it application in acne and black spots on face.
- It works as an anti-inflammatory agent thus helping in subduing any kind of oedema present on body.
- Good results have been seen in patients suffering from chronic cough as it has expectorant properties and helps in releasing the sputum accumulated in respiratory tract and lungs. Asthmatic patients are believed to have a very good relief if it is regularly taken.
- A very useful remedy in pyrexia of unknown origin.
- A highly recommended herb in patients suffering from obesity and metabolism related disorders.
- Works as a female tonic thereby helpful in menstrual disorders and female genital tract related problems.
- It also helps in secretion of milk during lactation phase after pregnancy.
- Due to anti bacterial properties its external application is very effective in healing wounds an injuries.
- It is supposed to stop excess blood flow from the wounded area.
- It is very helpful in external application on any kind of skin disease due to its anti microbial action.
- It's highly used in applying on external pile mass with pain relieving and swelling decreasing properties.
Dr John Anne
Read more on Natural Home Remedies and Herbal Treatments