Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease, in which skin is covered with dark red scaly patches. It is not contagious or infectious but a life style induced disease. Ayurveda treatment of psoriasis takes into account the ahara (diet), vihara (lifestyle) and aushada (medicines). Psoriasis can be considered as the imbalance of Vata and Kapha. (Two basic energies, maintaining our body equilibrium) Irregular food habits, eating of foodstuffs that cannot be taken together (E.g.: diary products with fish), excessive intake of yogurt, black gram, seafood, salt, alcohol and tobacco may activate the disease.
Few points to be kept in mind regarding Diet and Lifestyle in Psoriasis are: -
1) Diet rich in green vegetables like cucumber, carrot, and grapes is very good.
2) Balanced diet, avoiding the following; cheese, caffeine, milk products, egg, spices, oil, chocolates, sugar is very effective.
3) Taking bath in sea water, Epsom salt or oatmeal containing water is good without using chemical based soaps.
4) Gentle massage over infected area using avocado/cashew nut oil is recommended; also can use green leafy cabbage for covering infected area.
5) Give body enough sunlight, vitamen D and E. Drinking buttermilk, Karela (bitter gourd) juice; taking lethicin, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seed are very helpful.
6) Neem is one of the best blood purifier and detoxifier ,it enhances immune system, oil is an antiseptic, and neem leaf extracts are used in antiseptics for psoriasis. Guggulu is a resin from a small tree; it has anti-inflammatory and lipid-lowering actions, an effective Kapha- and Vata-pacifying supplement.
7) Ayurveda does emphasize on effect of stress in Psoriasis, Having psoriasis is, stressful for the patient, as lesions are visible, people may stare and not want to come near. Yoga especially pranayama greatly relieves stress and speeds the process of healing.
You may freely reprint this article on your website or in your newsletter provided this courtesy notice, author name and URL remain intact.